Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Words from a Father



Raising Godly children is the only goal any father has. 
Oh they could get a good education, a great job, even have a good family, but if your children do not follow the Lord, I would say that a father has failed at least in some part. 
There is nothing wrong with wanting our children to be good, kind, well mannered and achieve great things. 
But more important than that is, do and will our children serve God with their whole heart? 
Their relationship with the heavenly Father is more important than any relationship they could ever have. 
I read recently there are a few things we can do that will aid us in importing to them our faith. 
The whole list can be found in the book "The Warrior Within", by Pat Williams:

  1. Pray for them daily
  2. Love them unconditionally (this one was one of my weaknesses)
  3. Keep the lines of communication open
  4. Grab every teachable movement
  5. Praise efforts not results
  6. Never discipline in anger
  7. Forgive your children
My Arrows
I remember something that my son Terry Lee told me once and that was to pick your battles
You know not everything is war worthy.
Another thing that comes to mind is to stay cool, oh how I have failed on that one, but you know there is still time. So as someone said "how to be a perfect dad" is to remember there are no perfect dad's! 
But there are dad's who repent and try again to learn how to please the Lord and be an example of the faith to all those who are watching them. 
I pray that your children will grow up to serve the Lord.

Psalms 78; 5-7
He planted a witness in Jacob, set his Word firmly in Israel, Then commanded our parents to teach it to their children So the next generation would know, and all the generations to come— Know the truth and tell the stories so their children can trust in God, Never forget the works of God but keep his commands to the letter.

I would really like to hear what you have learned about being a father. Or share a story with me about your father in the comments below. 
Thanks



2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading this blog. I am sure it will be a blessing/benefit to anyone who reads it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is certainly a blessing to me , sir. Thank you, I am natural father to three, two of whom are still living, but I chose to continue being father to at least seven more who became part of my family and never knew any father but me. I know I don't do so much that I might, but I try, and most importantly I keep trying and do not throw people away. Things are things and are somewhat disposable but people in general and family in particular are different. I belong to my family and my family to me forever and I believe God expects us to bring them with us: "Will the circle be unbroken
    By and by, Lord, by and by
    There's a better home a-waiting
    In the sky, Lord, in the sky" (A.P.Carter)

    ReplyDelete